ECONOMIC BENEFITS OF MALL OF AMERICA®
SINCE ITS OPENING IN 1992, MALL OF AMERICA® HAS HAD A SIGNIFICANT POSITIVE ECONOMIC
IMPACT ON THE CITY OF BLOOMINGTON, THE TWIN CITIES METRO AREA AND THE STATE OF MINNESOTA.
KEY FINDINGS, INCREMENTAL IMPACT
- Mall of America is one of the largest tax payers in the state and has generated
more than $800 million in tax revenue since it opened.
- Annually, MOA generates more than $1.9 billion in economic impact and with Phase
II that figure is expected to increase to $4.3 billion.
- The average dollar amount spent per visit at MOA is 52 percent higher than the nationwide
average spent at shopping malls.
- MOA currently employs 11,000 people and that number increases to 13,000 in the summer
and during the holiday season. MOA projects more than 20,000 job opportunities with
- Mall of America generates over $50 million in taxes each year, and by 2015 Phase
II is projected to generate an additional $80 million in tax revenue per year. Together,
Phase I and Phase II will generate over $3.4 billion in total taxes over the first
- The City of Bloomington estimates that Mall of America has generated four times
more tax revenue than alternative market-driven development would have – a total
of more than $600 million.
- Out-of-state tourists visiting MOA spend more than $1 billion annually outside the
Mall – on items such as hotel rooms, rental cars, dining out, visiting attractions
and sporting events. Tax revenue generated from out-of-state visitors alone exceeds
the public financing request.
- Mall of America has well over 40 million visitors annually, 10 times the state’s
second most popular tourist destination and exceeds all other state tourist destinations
combined. MOA welcomes more visitors each year than the combined populations of
North Dakota, South Dakota, Iowa and Canada.
TripleFive Group of Companies, © 2015. All Rights Reserved.